Last Updated: Friday, 25 October 2019 09:34
Worsening drought conditions throughout most of the state have prompted a Level 1 Drought Response declaration from the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD). As a result, most of the counties in Georgia must follow the Level 1 Drought Response requirements. This includes White County and the water customers of the City of Helen.
“This Public Notice serves as a reminder for all water customers of the City of Helen to use water wisely,” and to remember the importance of water conservation. In addition, the outdoor water use schedule required under the Water Stewardship Act limits outdoor water use year-round to the hours between 4 p.m. and 10 a.m. There are several exceptions to this limitation listed at https://epd.georgia.gov/watershed-protection-branch/water-conservation.
For example, the following activities may be done at any time of day under a Level 1 Drought Response:
- Irrigation of personal food gardens may be done at any time of day;
- Irrigation of new and replanted plant, seed, or turf may be done at any time of day for 30 days after installation;
- Drip irrigation or irrigation using soaker hoses may be done at any time of day; and
- Hand watering with a hose with automatic cutoff or handheld container may be done at any time of day.
- Regularly check for, and repair, leaks inside and outside your business or home.
- Don't leave tap running when shaving, brushing teeth, and face washing.
- Only water your landscape when necessary. Adjust sprinklers so only your lawn is watered, and not the house, sidewalk, or street.
If you have any questions in regards to this Public Notice please do not hesitate to call City of Helen City Hall 706-878-2733.